Friday, June 5, 2015

Adventures in Chalk Painting with Waverly...

Hello Crafty Friends...



Well I finally got around to trying out Waverly's Chalk paint that Walmart is carrying.  I didn't get Waverly's brand of waxes though.  I have Annie Sloan Wax clear and dark, so I just used those.  No sense spending more money right?!  :)




Today I thought I would try it on a wood chair.  I've had this chair forever and when we moved I didn't get rid of it.  It was in definite need of renovating, so it was the perfect candidate.


First I sanded down all the paint splatters so I had a smooth surface.  I didn't go all crazy sandy, just enough to knock off the high spots and a little of the varnish.  Then wiped it down really well with a damp cloth.  Then applied one coat of Waverly's Chalk Paint in Truffle.  It only took a little less than half the bottle to cover the whole chair (even underneath the seat).  It has the consistency of chocolate putting and went on nicely.  I wanted a brown color for this chair to be an extra chair for the Farmhouse Table I made.  (You can find that post here.) The paint had more of a grayish brown color when dried.

It was a little more grayish/brown than
the pic shows.
I applied a coat of Annie Sloan clear wax using a t-shirt instead of my wax brush.  It was easier to get in between the spindles.  Let dry for about an hour and then applied dark wax.  Rubbed it down really well with a t-shirt then used my drill motor with buffing brush (best tool ever!!) and then went over it with a shoe shine brush.  The wax after being buffed was still a little streaky so I wadded up some paper towels and rubbed down one more time and it rubbed right out.



On a side note:  My intention wasn't to have a distressed look on this chair.  I wanted it to be a solid brown.  Wellllll....thanks to my drill motor bumping some of the sides and scraping off some of the paint, it became an accidental victim of distressing.  Oops!  LOL!!  So it had a few more accidents (intentional bumps) and made it look symmetrical (sort of).  I think it still looks great.  :)

Here is the finished product...

The Annie Sloan Dark wax really browned
it up to the color I wanted.
I also got Waverly's Chalk Paint in Rhubarb and Peacock.  Going to paint some Ball jars and see how it holds up.  Making vases for centerpieces for a wedding.  I'll let you know how that goes when I get them done.  :)

Until next time...

Pin It!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...