Monday, October 12, 2015

Halloween Decor and 5th Blogaversary...

Hello Crafty Friends!

Hope everyone is doing well and gearing up for Halloween.  We've moved and won't get any Trick-or-Treater's here, but that didn't stop me from decorating.  :)  A few family and friends kids come to visit occasionally so they will get to enjoy it.  :)  

Our doxie Penny didn't even care that this really wasn't daddy.  She slept in his lap anyway.  Any port in the storm.  LOL!

We have loads of wildlife where we live now, and due to the drought the pond is all dried up, so I put out 2 watering buckets.  These turkey's come several times a day and hang out around the water cooler.  The deer and other's come out in the morning and evening, and more come out throughout the night.  ;) Now that they know there is water there I need to fill it up everyday. LOL!

Back on the 6th I posted about my 5th Blogaversary.  Well it didn't show up for some reason and it isn't in the drafts.  So anyways, I can't believe it has been this long.  So many changes have happened and new social media avenues have opened up it is just to hard to keep up with all of them. I have been posting all around and not staying consistent with the blog.  I don't ever see any action from here (blogger) anymore, is anyone out there? LOL., My facebook page for myneed2craft gets more action. This year has been super crazy either way, and I haven't done much in the way of crafts, but I will share anything I do.  :)  Plan to get the craft studio up and running before the holidays.  
We'll see. 

Until next time (hopefully sooner than later),

Pin It!

Friday, June 5, 2015

Adventures in Chalk Painting with Waverly...

Hello Crafty Friends...

Well I finally got around to trying out Waverly's Chalk paint that Walmart is carrying.  I didn't get Waverly's brand of waxes though.  I have Annie Sloan Wax clear and dark, so I just used those.  No sense spending more money right?!  :)

Today I thought I would try it on a wood chair.  I've had this chair forever and when we moved I didn't get rid of it.  It was in definite need of renovating, so it was the perfect candidate.

First I sanded down all the paint splatters so I had a smooth surface.  I didn't go all crazy sandy, just enough to knock off the high spots and a little of the varnish.  Then wiped it down really well with a damp cloth.  Then applied one coat of Waverly's Chalk Paint in Truffle.  It only took a little less than half the bottle to cover the whole chair (even underneath the seat).  It has the consistency of chocolate putting and went on nicely.  I wanted a brown color for this chair to be an extra chair for the Farmhouse Table I made.  (You can find that post here.) The paint had more of a grayish brown color when dried.

It was a little more grayish/brown than
the pic shows.
I applied a coat of Annie Sloan clear wax using a t-shirt instead of my wax brush.  It was easier to get in between the spindles.  Let dry for about an hour and then applied dark wax.  Rubbed it down really well with a t-shirt then used my drill motor with buffing brush (best tool ever!!) and then went over it with a shoe shine brush.  The wax after being buffed was still a little streaky so I wadded up some paper towels and rubbed down one more time and it rubbed right out.

On a side note:  My intention wasn't to have a distressed look on this chair.  I wanted it to be a solid brown.  Wellllll....thanks to my drill motor bumping some of the sides and scraping off some of the paint, it became an accidental victim of distressing.  Oops!  LOL!!  So it had a few more accidents (intentional bumps) and made it look symmetrical (sort of).  I think it still looks great.  :)

Here is the finished product...

The Annie Sloan Dark wax really browned
it up to the color I wanted.
I also got Waverly's Chalk Paint in Rhubarb and Peacock.  Going to paint some Ball jars and see how it holds up.  Making vases for centerpieces for a wedding.  I'll let you know how that goes when I get them done.  :)

Until next time...

Pin It!

Monday, May 18, 2015

Custom Picture shelves...

Hello Crafty Friends!

Today I will share how I made these picture shelves.  I couldn't find any pre-made to the size specs I wanted for this wall, so I did some research on Pinterest and came across this tutorial at Viva Cindy Blog.  Literally, we have the same exact story!!  LOL!

So here it goes:
The blank wall!

The supplies!  Oops, forgot to fill in the nail
holes.  Couldn't tell anyways.  LOL!
The can of GF top coat was
empty (how did that happen??)
I used Minwax's spray polyurethane satin.
Lowe's cut all the wood to size for me (30")
2- 1x4 pieces and 1- 1x2 piece for each shelf.

Glued in between with good 'ole Elmer's wood glue.

Since I wasn't using power tools and was home alone, I used
a piece of scrap to hold in place while I nailed together.

Ta Daa!!
1 down and 4 to go.  :)

All ready to sand.

Stained with one coat of GF Java Gel.
Then out to get sprayed.

I used black wood screws and went into the studs.  They
were not exactly centered on this wall (surprise, surprise),
but you can't tell because there are pics in front of
them.  ;)
That's it!  Now I am off to work on the craft room.  Got one piece started.  I'll share that soon.  It will be a work in progress.  I sure miss my old craft room at the old house.  I'm sure this one will be just as fabulous!  Yay!!

Until next time...

Pin It!


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...