Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Up-cycling dining room table and chairs from a garage sale....

Hello Crafty Friends!

We recently moved upcountry and I am hooked on farmhouse decor for our beautiful new home.

Months ago before we moved I showed my hubby a picture of a farmhouse table on Pinterest and how I could take my new found hobby of chalk painting and create the same look for a lot less than the $1,500 - $3,000 ones I was finding online.  He really liked it and the very next day, on a local FB garage sale site in our area, a heavy pine table with leaf and 6 chairs with built in cushions were posted and I immediately snapped it up for $240.  It was meant to be!!  ;)  (I am never this lucky when it comes to these kind of things.)  hehe!

After months of holding it in storage I am now able to start working on it.  First off, I wanted to redo the chairs with the arms.  One for a guest room and one for my new desk chair.  So far I have got one done.  I will continue to show as I progress with all the different things I plan to do with the remaining pieces. Not all are going around the farmhouse table I will create soon.

So to start, here is the first chair I up-cycled for one of the guest rooms...

1.  First I clean them really well (they were pretty loved on by
previous owners children ;)  LOL!

2.  Applied 2 coats of Arles chalk paint from Annie Sloan.

3.  Waxed with one coat of clear wax, sand paper distressed and then applied a 50/50 mix of light
and dark wax.  Buffed with a circle brush mounted to my drill motor.

4.  Re-upholstered the seat cushion.

VIOLA!!!  Looks perfect in the guest room.  All the furniture is dark, so this just brightens it all up.  I am very happy with how it turned out.

Next I will tackle the table.  Until then...

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from my Crafty Friends!

UNDER CONSTRUCTION!

UNDER CONSTRUCTION! MyNeed2Craft by Terri Deavers is currently undergoing some changes!  Stay tuned!